Welcome to The Duncan Trussell Family Hour Center for Self-Optimization

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

monkey_mine

Reputation points- yea or nay

110 posts in this topic

Silly I lost a Point because you don't like my way of thinking it's fine I'm not taking away any points from anybody kind of feel like bullying.  

6 hours ago, sparks2cm said:

Silly I lost a Point because you don't like my way of thinking it's fine I'm not taking away any points from anybody kind of feel like bullying.  

happened to me either

On 8/28/2016 at 10:35 AM, dustyclaws said:

I am proud of my noob status although I do have an affinity for leveling up. I wonder, does it just go by number of posts or also posts read or time elapsed since sign up? My primary forum, I was in the range of 20,000 posts from 3-4 accounts over the last 10 years. So if I only need 40 posts to be advanced member.. what's after advanced?

I think after Advanced is Super Advanced. Then there are 3 more ranks. The names of the last 3 ranks are kept secret, only to be revealed as members progress to those ranks.

On 8/29/2016 at 11:23 AM, Evence said:

but... but... what would happen if I won't believe in myself? I would rather somebody else than myself :D

Believe in Duncan. Pray to Duncan. He has the power to upgrade you.

it felt good when I got the notification for receiving a point

I wonder how it will feel when I have one taken away?

what if I become a point masochist?

what if a small group formed that routinely lashed each other?

8 hours ago, sixart said:

it felt good when I got the notification for receiving a point

I wonder how it will feel when I have one taken away?

what if I become a point masochist?

what if a small group formed that routinely lashed each other?

I do understand very well what you're talking about :D though somebody already took away a point from me :( but here's a gift for ya' buddy

Let's undo the points. And everybody should have the same background

I thought of a couple ways this system can be abused that had not occurred to me before, and not has not been mentioned by anyone else on this thread.

First, each member has the potential to singlehandedly take someone without a very high rep score and make them a vampire. Think of it: if someone has a hundred posts or so and you downvote 10 of their posts per day for a while, you can sink them deep into negative points. I've done very little neg voting, and most of that on violette. I thought I would try to change her to a vampire,  (this was long after she stopped posting)  but I found out I either was not that angry with her, or I'm too lazy to follow through, day after day... Someone else though, more dedicated than me, could sink a good poster and get them to leave if that poster was sensitive to the negative scores.  

The other problem is that if a few members get in a clique of people that really like each other, they can upvote each other reciprocally. Then you have people with extremely high and falsely inflated  point scores not because of consistent quality, but just because they got themselves into a circle jerk of upvoting.  

Not that I'm saying this has happened here on this forum. I don't pay that much attention. Just saying it could. 

22 hours ago, EliteDangerous said:

I believe this may lead to a rep war in the future, I have seen rep wars in the Rogan forum.

What's a rep war look like? I've never seen one.  

I'm a member of Rogan's forum but I never post there. Too much  everything. 

@monkey_mineI'm a whore for forum drama. Tell me, what lead to your attempt at "bringing violette down"? I honestly thought she was quite nice, though I did wonder if she was quite alright some times when she kinda got worked up over little things. She did seem to be a bit.... Strange. Is she still around?

I actually feel a bit like I'm cheating or doing something I'm not supposed to when I give out more than one or two points in one sitting. I think 10 points might be a bit too much. Especially for neg reps. I think I've used the neg a maximum of three times. A real asshole might exploit those negs and stirr shit up.

Well, it's been half a year and nobody has hung themselves, we have no Mad Max style Neg Gangs, no black market for upvotes.

You guys sound like the Tea Partiers still posting memes about Obama coming for their guns.

I think we will be ok.

Edited by WeepingMonk

not sure if this has been said but it seems like voting has removed shitposts like "this" or "you win the thread"

2 hours ago, ChairmanLMAO said:

not sure if this has been said but it seems like voting has removed shitposts like "this" or "you win the thread"

I think you're right. I've probably written this already but I still feel it's true: my post quality has been much better with the karma system. Posts where I want to offer my opinion are more thought out, and I think that's directly due to having karma. Now that quality has at least been defined, albeit in a really rudimentary way, it brings that shared goal to everyone.

And posts where we say "Fuck karma, this needs to be said." are more obvious now, bringing a sense of righteousness to a self-sabotaging post.

I still like the karma system, even if a majority of my posts are upvoted by one or two people who are biased towards me.

Edited by Clarion

22 hours ago, Gnome said:

@monkey_mineI'm a whore for forum drama. Tell me, what lead to your attempt at "bringing violette down"? I honestly thought she was quite nice, though I did wonder if she was quite alright some times when she kinda got worked up over little things. She did seem to be a bit.... Strange. Is she still around?

I usually loved violettes contributions here, but she got nasty to me and to others when she returned with her  "libtards for Trump" thread. So I got irritated with her for calling me stupid or retarded or whatever she said.  She quit posting just before the election. 

I thought her points would only be influenced by me since she was gone, and I wondered, as an experiment how far you could drag someones points down. I thought if I dinged her 10 points a day I could drop her as many points as she had posts.  I'm not proud of it but I only did it for one day. I did not have the motivation to follow through.  I wanted to see if there were any limits to how far one person can drop another. Can you drop someone 200 points?  It does seem to me to be too much power.

Anyway  @Gnome always nice to hear from you. I feel a kinship with you. Like you, I do love me some forum drama. 

No drama no life!

This forum bores me lately, and I don't know if the rep points help. Here we are trying to have a peaceful, friendly  conversation, and @WeepingMonk of all people, with 278 rep points drops in to essentially call us retards for talking about the subject of this thread. How is this an improvement?

This forum used to enthrall me, but lately I've gotten bored. I was mostly sticking around here to finish the K CHALLENGE. 

Not blaming others though, or the forum changes. I'm bored with myself and my own participation on this forum, my complaints, my reactions, with monkey_mine...

It's just time to move on. 

If anyone wants to say hi, or whatever- ping me-  Zeck13@Yahoo.com.

@Stigplease delete me from this forum. And thanks, @Stig, for all your work here. And thanks @duncan  for making this forum happen.

Edited by monkey_mine

GOOD NEWS! God has determined that your worth in the universe will now be solely based on your rep score on this forum! If you have 100+ you are one of God's chosen people. You may bomb whomever you like. Me natural resources es su natural resources. If you have less than 50 points, maybe it's time to start cutting yourself so God will love you again. If you have less than 10, maybe just crawl under the house and look for a nice place to die. It's time.

After Trump won, violet came back to her "libtards for Trump" thread, and proceeded to snort rails of her own farts for all to see. She also called us all cry babies, and posted her corny taste in music as a soundtrack for her poop party. 

I couldn't even acknowledge her jerk powers because of her hacky, low rent methods. I must say it was quite the drama though.

I'm guessing that without the rep points she'd still be rooting tooting around and taking up space as "mini-boss" of sorts. Which actually could be a kind of training and initiation for noobs. Hmmm...

Edited by Letters

2 hours ago, monkey_mine said:

Here we are trying to have a peaceful, friendly  conversation, and @WeepingMonk of all people, with 278 rep points drops in to essentially call us retards for talking about the subject of this thread. How is this an improvement?

You're right, and @Gnome too, I shouldn't have implied that you guys are retards. Sorry, guys. 

Edited by WeepingMonk

Reputation points are so garbagey. That's an aspect of "old school forums" that seems archaic. It makes posting on a forum into this sub game of trying to post what people are more likely to upvote. I wouldn't mind it if I could press a "hide all rep" button.