Welcome to The Duncan Trussell Family Hour Center for Self-Optimization

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

monkey_mine

Reputation points- yea or nay

110 posts in this topic

I have noticed a few people with misgivings or complaints about it. I don't like it because of the herding mentality it seems to create.  I resent it because it exerts a subtle level of control over me. Douglas Rushkoff warns against the ideological thought ghettos  created by getting your own views and interests get reinforced to you over and over by the algorithms of search engines and facebook, twitter, etc.

But also I think: does it help the collective consciousness evolve?  Maybe it will prove worthwhile.  It's an interesting experiment to notice how it affects our forum experience.  Also I notice my endolphins release when someone gives me a point. Ah, someone likes me.  I should post more often. Get more points....

MMMMMMMM endolphins.....

Edited by monkey_mine

Lol, a 3 rated plebian complaining about ratings / sarcasm

Ha. Perfect.

An elitist Advanced Member judging me.  The more it changes the more it stays the same.

Yeah, judgement/critiscism should be voiced in clear arguments, but I guess that is too much to ask. We are getting so lazy that all our judgement/critisciscms (positive or negative) is all there in one click.

5 minutes ago, The Danlo said:

Yeah, judgement/critiscism should be voiced in clear arguments, but I guess that is too much to ask. We are getting so lazy that all our judgement/critisciscms (positive or negative) is all there in one click.

Upvoted you. Disn't you feel the rush?

The first taste is free, if you want more you gotta cumwiddit, bro.

Edited by WeepingMonk

Instant gratification, the way of today. I'm just a member now, but I'll be in my big boy pants with an advanced member soon enough. I wish the Karma had positive and negative separately. That way we see controversial people. Just the one number tells me nothing.

anyone who complains gets a free neg from yours truly. Consider it a lesson in non-attachment :)

We're experimenting with these! I'm not wild about karma systems either, but the forum has had a tendency in the past to be dominated by small cliques of loud assholes. The idea with the new karma system is to give readers a way to directly sink trolls, so they can't just drown out all other conversation.

So far for me it is easy to up vote people and it feels nice. Someone would have to be an utterly wretched cunt for me to down vote them. So I feel like it could naturally weight itself toward the positive reinforcement end of the spectrum.

Edited by ehhrrwal

The one concern about reputation is that most likely it will be the members who are around the longest will probably get the most. There will be those who reputation whore, but what are you going to do? I think reputation will have an effect also on how we percieve posts. We may be much quicker to dismiss a post by a dirty red. And we'll probably praise a 300+ green for saying "Ha". 

I am for either or. Keep or get rid of it.

But it may get to a point where the reputation is flowing like water and everyone will be green. Perhaps add an upper limit? And if you reach 1000 green, you get a golden user handle as opposed to the default white one. Just a suggestion.

See that right there is not a good thing - rewards for karma. Karma is it's own reward, you get acknowledged and feel good. Don't set something like a golden name as an achievement, that sort of thing leads to people whoring out their dignity for a +, just to get gold borders or some dumb thing to their name.

I could really see it going either way. I think we should be able to see total upvotes/downvotes though

Everyone knows that karma-to-post ratio is a direct correlation to penis-length and pussy tension! All these low ratio plubs posting just for the fun of it?!?! If you're not scorin points what's the point?

Edited by Clarion
Sarcasm font

I feel m'heart pump a little WHOOF harder like in a dad wrestling with his daughter way every time someone thumbs up my fucking laugh-a-loud message bird postal

If someone see something they don't like right after their votes reset they're probably more likely to ignore them than to -rep them. But if they see the same thing at the end of the day when all they have is -rep to give then I'm sure the story changes. 

one of my reasons to be anti-reddit migration, was the up and downvotes. 

don't like seeing them here, it changes the tone.

maybe that's the idea though.

but there are some subreddits that do away with downvotes, and you can only upvote.

i just think negs really suck, we all say dumb shit sometimes or are wrong, but to see some notifications and they are anonymous thumbs down, its not really "fun". i think having a lack of any upvotes would get the point across without being too much of a bummer.  

18 hours ago, Stig said:

We're experimenting with these! I'm not wild about karma systems either, but the forum has had a tendency in the past to be dominated by small cliques of loud assholes. The idea with the new karma system is to give readers a way to directly sink trolls, so they can't just drown out all other conversation.

I think I'm OK with it as an experiment. But shifting to the new forum creates new variables. To get a good idea whether it is beneficial, or if the pros outweigh the cons,  shouldn't you  should try it on for a period of time, then shut it off for a period? Like a year maybe. Then you have a better comparison.

its interesting.

the only thing that is a possible quandary is whether or not it will lead to a narrowed rhetoric, and a squashing of non conformist views.

take for example the current overly politically correct media.

it is a slippery slope.

also yeh, it adds to the facebook type rat ina a cage bitting a button to get stimuli thing but hey, that's the game.

Yeah I say get rid of them.  Both.  I feel like I'm walking on egg shells.

Holy shit! We have points? What am I?  FUCK. I'm a goddamn 0.

I'll take it!