Welcome to The Duncan Trussell Family Hour Center for Self-Optimization

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

duncan

BRAND NEW FREAKOUT CHALLENGE

84 posts in this topic

Hello friends!

Have you decided to participate in the new freakout occult-sacrifice challenge?  Then this is the place to post your results.  

For those of you who missed it on the podcast this month's challenge is to find some material thing that your ego has become fixated on. Something someone else could get far more out of than you ever could or will, you SELFISH BASTARD, and to find a person to give it to and then to give it to them.

All details in episode 212 with Conner Habib.....

Post your field notes here!

@duncan,

oh indeed sir!!  a wise CHALLENGE indeed!!  for the man burdened by acquisitiveness is condemned to a reality skewed by fear and compulsion.  the speaker will take your challenge!!  and perhaps you sir, will take the KRISHNAMURTI CHALLENGE.  ONE BOOK, ONE CACTUS sir.  

I gave away my zafu. Funny enough zafu just auto corrected to snafu. The Snafu Principal decrees that communication is only possible between equals. 

Anyway it felt good to get outside of my self and go out of my way to do something for someone. I explained in detail the challenge to him prior to giving him my pillow which he needed and asked his mom for a couple of years ago. He is making his spare room in his house into a meditation space, so it all fell together nicely. 

Good challenge. What is it you gave away then Duncan and what was the results, or have you already said so on the podcast?

3 hours ago, stein22501 said:

I gave away my zafu. Funny enough zafu just auto corrected to snafu. The Snafu Principal decrees that communication is only possible between equals. 

Anyway it felt good to get outside of my self and go out of my way to do something for someone. I explained in detail the challenge to him prior to giving him my pillow which he needed and asked his mom for a couple of years ago. He is making his spare room in his house into a meditation space, so it all fell together nicely. 

THIS IS PERFECT!!  It's that feeling of going outside of the "self" that I really love.  Also the symbol of giving away a meditation cushion is really powerful.  WELL DONE!

1 hour ago, Karmor said:

Good challenge. What is it you gave away then Duncan and what was the results, or have you already said so on the podcast?

I talked about it on the podcast.  I gave away my dumb adjustable/vibrating/massaging bed.  Called the ALS and told them I had a queen sized hospital bed and within a few hours someone who needed it for their mom called and came and took it away.   The whole thing was wonderful.  

I'm scoping my belongings to see if I can find something that needs to go. I just moved in July though so most things I could stand to get rid of were ditched then so I didn't have to move them. I bet I can find something though . 

Super weird that those guys were calling each other and you John the whole time. I'm not sure I could've played along with that lol

2 hours ago, duncan said:

I talked about it on the podcast.  I gave away my dumb adjustable/vibrating/massaging bed.  Called the ALS and told them I had a queen sized hospital bed and within a few hours someone who needed it for their mom called and came and took it away.   The whole thing was wonderful.  

That sounds brilliant, that's a really nice thing you did. I used to have this issue where whenever I gave something away or did something just trying to be nice there'd always be this lingering habit of questioning the sincerity in my actions. As in, am I doing this because I feel it's the right thing to do or am I doing this thing for my own personal benefit? It always bugged me until I realised that it was a perfectly fine thing to do as I wasn't expecting material results, as stated in the Bhagavad Gita, in other words I was not working for the fruits (fruitive action).

I'd just started listening to the podcast to hear more of what you had to say on this challenge and thought the opening statement about sacrifice and the example with Abraham was an interesting point of discussion, sacrifice in the name of God is something I've thought about for quite some time and with this challenge perhaps you'd be interested in another opinion.

Sacrifice is important for liberation as the mind holds heavy its identification of self through attachments to sense objects, including even a son. Liberation is only possible once one can fully let go of his identity in order to merge into the complete cosmic ocean that is One, if any remnants of self remain, for example if you look at something and think "that is mine" including your own children then you have created a duality and are perceiving reality as a part of it, an individual. Worshiping sense objects means you are seeing things as being different so you are thereby worshiping Brahma the God of creation, which is considered a taboo and he is not to be worshiped for this reason.

Now the interesting thing about this is when Abraham goes to sacrifice his son Isaac and God says he doesn't have to as Abraham clearly fully feared God. I took this to be the meaning: Someone who fully fears God is someone who is willing to do what it takes to devote himself to the Lord and in this instance it was to sacrifice his own son, how the sacrifice itself was being made is not a literal depiction of how one would sacrifice the son, but to how Abraham mentally perceived him, he had to kill what his son was to him in his own mind. Upon doing this Abraham was graced upon by God, or in other words, Abraham was now enlightened and one with God in which he understood that even though this sacrifice was made (that he killed his own son in his mental perception of him), his son was not "dead" in the way that the son still sees him as a father and Abraham still has his fatherly duties. Reality itself doesn't change for the enlightened being, only how he relates to it. Sacrifice is important to curb the mind of its strongly rooted identity of self, but once you are free of those attachments you don't have to live as an ascetic, you'll live the same life as you're used to only you're no longer attaching any ownership or individuality onto these sense objects.

@chimpbrain The John thing made me feel like I was in an alternate universe.  The woman who called me texted "My Husband, John, is coming to pick it up."  And then he started calling me "John" and the guy he was with "john" and that guy also called me John.  It was surreal.   

If you don't have anything to give away right now then go buy some flowers and give them to a stranger or fill a backpack up with food and give it away and really study the way things shift for you during the process.  It's KEWL.

6 minutes ago, Karmor said:

That sounds brilliant, that's a really nice thing you did. I used to have this issue where whenever I gave something away or did something just trying to be nice there'd always be this lingering habit of questioning the sincerity in my actions. As in, am I doing this because I feel it's the right thing to do or am I doing this thing for my own personal benefit? It always bugged me until I realised that it was a perfectly fine thing to do as I wasn't expecting material results, as stated in the Bhagavad Gita, in other words I was not working for the fruits (fruitive action).

I'd just started listening to the podcast to hear more of what you had to say on this challenge and thought the opening statement about sacrifice and the example with Abraham was an interesting point of discussion, sacrifice in the name of God is something I've thought about for quite some time and with this challenge perhaps you'd be interested in another opinion.

Sacrifice is important for liberation as the mind holds heavy its identification of self through attachments to sense objects, including even a son. Liberation is only possible once one can fully let go of his identity in order to merge into the complete cosmic ocean that is One, if any remnants of self remain, for example if you look at something and think "that is mine" including your own children then you have created a duality and are perceiving reality as a part of it, an individual. Worshiping sense objects means you are seeing things as being different so you are thereby worshiping Brahma the God of creation, which is considered a taboo and he is not to be worshiped for this reason.

Now the interesting thing about this is when Abraham goes to sacrifice his son Isaac and God says he doesn't have to as Abraham clearly fully feared God. I took this to be the meaning: Someone who fully fears God is someone who is willing to do what it takes to devote himself to the Lord and in this instance it was to sacrifice his own son, how the sacrifice itself was being made is not a literal depiction of how one would sacrifice the son, but to how Abraham mentally perceived him, he had to kill what his son was to him in his own mind. Upon doing this Abraham was graced upon by God, or in other words, Abraham was now enlightened and one with God in which he understood that even though this sacrifice was made (that he killed his own son in his mental perception of him), his son was not "dead" in the way that the son still sees him as a father and Abraham still has his fatherly duties. Reality itself doesn't change for the enlightened being, only how he relates to it. Sacrifice is important to curb the mind of its strongly rooted identity of self, but once you are free of those attachments you don't have to live as an ascetic, you'll live the same life as you're used to only you're no longer attaching any ownership or individuality onto these sense objects.

Yeah you get this kind of reverse math over and over again in religious scriptures.  Before you can inhale you have to exhale.  Before you can fill a cup it must be empty.  All the clinging is keeping you from "heaven" This is the story of Jesus and the rich man:

17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good. 19 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’[a]

20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

I mean I get it!! if some hippy told me to sell ALL my shit and follow him around I would probably walk away too.

3 minutes ago, duncan said:

Yeah you get this kind of reverse math over and over again in religious scriptures.  Before you can inhale you have to exhale.  Before you can fill a cup it must be empty.  All the clinging is keeping you from "heaven" This is the story of Jesus and the rich man:

17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good. 19 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’[a]

20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

I mean I get it!! if some hippy told me to sell ALL my shit and follow him around I would probably walk away too.

Haha, that's a great passage, I should read the Bible more as that seems almost intentionally comedic. I love that analogy by the way, "Before you can inhale you have to exhale", that's a really good way of summing it up. But c'mon Duncan, if you want liberation you must atleast renounce ownership of that stuff, including your Vive headset.

Just now, Karmor said:

Haha, that's a great passage, I should read the Bible more as that seems almost intentionally comedic. I love that analogy by the way, "Before you can inhale you have to exhale", that's a really good way of summing it up. But c'mon Duncan, if you want liberation you must atleast renounce ownership of that stuff, including your Vive headset.

I sort of agree with you!!

However mean your life is, meet it and live it: do not shun it and call it hard names. Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Things do not change, we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.

Henry David Thoreau

That's a crazy idea!! To cultivate poverty. Holy shit. That's mind blowing.  Another reversal of the normal flow of energy to the ego.

24 minutes ago, duncan said:

I sort of agree with you!!

However mean your life is, meet it and live it: do not shun it and call it hard names. Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Things do not change, we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.

Henry David Thoreau

That's a crazy idea!! To cultivate poverty. Holy shit. That's mind blowing.  Another reversal of the normal flow of energy to the ego.

I don't think it's an absolute necessity, it certainly helps to sell things if the mind is that strongly attached but just renouncing ownership over things is just as valid, and as I was pointing out with the story of Abraham it's not a sacrifice that rids yourself of that thing completely, just by sacrificing your ownership it will still remain in your life.

Like for example my brother lives with me and I have just one pair of shoes, he has tons of his own shoes but he will still on occasion wear mine as well and sometimes when I find out I can't help but feel pissed off at it, in those moments it rings alarm bells in my head and makes me think "he is not the problem, the anger is coming from your attachment to those shoes, they aren't 'yours', not in truth as it's all one thing." and I find those re-acknowledgements do help lots when it comes to these things. In all honesty I do need shoes to walk outside but it's the attachment, the ownership of them that is creating the problem, in those instances where it's not feasible to get rid of something you can still have it in your life just not think of it as yours, just as Abraham does Isaac. Do you see what I'm saying? I don't think having complete poverty is totally necessary, the problem is not these sense objects just our attachment to them when we start to identify ourselves with them. It's like Buddha when he becomes an ascetic eating just one grain of rice a day and there's a few others doing something similar around him, and then almost upon dying he remembers a time when he had a sense of complete bliss as a child and didn't give up anything in order to attain it, realising that he stopped punishing himself to that extreme and ate all the food he needed, sat under the bodhi tree and became enlightened. I think that is the essence of this understanding, you can be happy with and without things, giving up all your possessions isn't required, as is shown with the fat buddha symbol, he's enjoying life yet it's still plentiful.

Edited by Karmor

Ive been thinking what to give away and nothing material feels good enough. Its all going anyway so it doesnt matter to me.

So.. I just went shopping and held the 'big I' for most of it. THEN IT HIT ME!

What is my most valuable possesion? I realised its me! 

My personality! Who I think I am.

What if I could give that away to another bigger, all of us me?

What if I could...

Then the tears started flowing

@sirs, @sirssettes,

sirs, the speaker cannot discern what is that thing on which his ego is fixated, that thing that someone else could use more than he.  firstly sirs, the speaker has not many things.  he finds pleasure not through acquisition, but rather through negation.  for it is negation that makes the mindcock sensitive to the titillation of truth, not association.  so then sirs, what does the man who does not possess give away?  

5 hours ago, DinduNuffin said:

@sirs, @sirssettes,

sirs, the speaker cannot discern what is that thing on which his ego is fixated, that thing that someone else could use more than he.  firstly sirs, the speaker has not many things.  he finds pleasure not through acquisition, but rather through negation.  for it is negation that makes the mindcock sensitive to the titillation of truth, not association.  so then sirs, what does the man who does not possess give away?  

I would suggest that it can be a gift to others to show them that you can be blissful and content without possessions.

So by being that way you can motivate others so to speak, and that is not such a bad thing to give away right?

6 hours ago, DinduNuffin said:

@sirs, @sirssettes,

His time? His heart? His butthole ? 

Edited by nondual

I don't know if this counts. It happened a couple of weeks ago, prior to Duncan issuing the challenge. So it is not so much a response to the challenge, as just my thoughts on giving cool stuff away.

I recently gave away a soundcard that I have been using since like 2011-12'ish. I wasn't a big lavish thing, but it had two really good preamps and a low latency. It has served my very well through the years. I've used it for SO many productions and recorded a lot of stuff on it. I got a bigger version of it with more pre's and line in's. So it had been sitting there for a while. But it has the perfect size and functionality for being a backup and travel soundcard. Mind you, I'm fucking shut in, who almost never leave my studio, if I can avoid it. I really didn't need the thing, but my mind was very good at coming up with scenarios where I might need it. right...

So I gave it to this young dude I've met through extended family. He's a really good guy. He's very young - like ten years younger than me - but he doesn't seem to think of me as an old bastard with antiquated views of the world and culture (which in all fairness I actually am). He started making music a couple of years ago, and from the first time I met him, he has been asking about my opinion and if I could help him out with figuring different stuff out, which has made me feel very good about myself. 

We don't live in the same part of the country, so I didn't give it to him personally, but through a proxy. So I didn't even get to give it to him, which is kind of an deflating feeling. Also he seems to have stopped his production stint after he got the card. He used to do a little live webradio show, where he played some lo fi hiphop and talked directly to his friends, just shooting the shit like. And he hasn't since I gave him the soundcard...

I know that I'm very petty. He has only had the soundcard in a couple weeks now. And I actually (God help me) have regretted giving it to him, and sort of panicked about, what I would do if I had to rush out on an emergency audio recording field trip (That has never EVER happened in recorded history. I am aware that I'm a delusional fucking idiot). I know, that given a little time he will probably use it, and I will get to hear what he has used it for. He probably has just gotten a new job, been partying or gotten a girlfriend that is taking up a lot of time. Maybe his dog died or something.

That was just my petty little two cents on how it can feel giving good shit away, if you are in love with the idea the recipients of your grace will fall to their knees and kiss you in the ass, human centipede style, for being such a good person. They probably wont, they definitely shouldn't and -if you are a weak little man like me - you might recent them for it.  

Edited by Turtleneck

I was in a garage band about 10 years ago. One on the other guys was on to some different stuff.  Everyone else seemed to want to play Pearl Jam covers while we were figuring out Flaming Lips and Radiohead songs. It lasted for a few summers and it was fun. It evolved into other projects until eventually we started to split off and do our own thing. We were both into electronics so we started accumulating gear. He started teaching himself how to play the piano and started getting way into synthesizers. We got together religiously every week and would experiment with weird noises. We recorded an album in pieces that I'm pretty proud of. Things kind of slowed down when he had a kid and I started putting my efforts into other things.

I still dabble and play around with making music but he has been consistently making cool stuff and building all kinds of connections - on top of raising a beautiful little girl. He's had quite a bit of my gear on loan since he has been so active. I'd rather it be put to use instead of sitting in a case for a month at a time. I've been selling some of the other pieces of equipment little by little to help pay off some bills. The challenge from the podcast got me thinking and I decided to just let my buddy keep everything he was holding on to. I sent him a facebook message expressing that he's a good dude and a valued friend. I want to see him make music and take it as far as he can.

I gave hime a 16 ch mixer, a PA amp/2 ch EQ, a Kaoss Quad, and a few effect pedals. It's a good chunk of stuff that would probably take a small chip out of my debt if I took the time to sell it. It felt good hearing back from him and he was just so surprised. I know this is all just material stuff and could be turned into a little cash, but ultimately he's going to be using it to make weird music and contributing something different to the local scene. It made him light up and that made me happy.

This is a tricky one. My ego is most affixed to my car and my TV which im sure any good hippie would tell me to get rid of asap, but I actually use them a lot and no one could probably get more utility out of them than I already do. Maybe my synthesizers, I don't actually use them but they make me feel super cool to have and look at. 

Hm but if I hold onto them for a few more years they could probably put my niece and nephew through college which has sort of been the plan for a while. Should I give them away instead? Maybe just one. 

Can I have a contest on Craigslist where people write essays about their lives and what they would do with a free synthesizer? That might be too egocentric of me and negate the value of the exercise but I would hate to give it away to some nincompoop who will make as little use of it as I have, and who doesn't have a spiritual advisor to suggest the possibility that he give it away.

tricky...

2 hours ago, GMCooper84 said:

I gave hime a 16 ch mixer, a PA amp/2 ch EQ, a Kaoss Quad, and a few effect pedals. It's a good chunk of stuff that would probably take a small chip out of my debt if I took the time to sell it. It felt good hearing back from him and he was just so surprised. I know this is all just material stuff and could be turned into a little cash, but ultimately he's going to be using it to make weird music and contributing something different to the local scene. It made him light up and that made me happy.

Damn son. You're a better man than I am

This is kind of an old story I'm sharing here but this is an extremely powerful practice. About a year ago I was listening to a Jack Kornfield audio tape where he advised to give away one of your most prized possessions. I loved this crochain but sacrificing it to the dark lord has opened up sooo many magical doors in my life. ?Loved the latest episode Duncan. ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you

anyone who sees this post and is interested join our facebook group "the cauldron". It's all about spreading love and music and cool shit. Magical things will begin to happen in your life I assure you.  ????? 

IMG_0250_zpsx6teszgj.png

IMG_0252_zpsjcays6vn.jpgActually come to think of it sacrificing the crochain created a larger chain of events than I realized. Shortly after gifting that crochain I quit my job and became the caretaker of my grandmother and began assisting with the development of my little brother who has Down syndrome. So now I'm a broke ass full time gifter lol. But every time I give something away it's like I level up in life and doors begin to open.

So in the spirit of sacrifice the first person to pm me there address I'll send one of these Love windows I make especially for gifting. I promise I won't stalk you. ?

The idea to make these windows came from one of the Alex Grey episodes I think. I believe he said "every morning we have the option to look out one of two windows. The window of fear, or the window of love" ❤️ ❤️❤️ Love you all ??

I gave a juicer to my friend.  He asked me if I was planning on killing myself because I had a lot of things laid out to give away.  I'm also giving away some family cookbooks.  I'm not going to kill myself for the record, I just have stuff that I haven't used in years that somebody could make good use of.  I have a lot of other stuff to give away.  Interestingly enough I made this decision a week before I listened to the Shane Mauss podcast.  It feels good to give this stuff away.