Welcome to The Duncan Trussell Family Hour Center for Self-Optimization

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kyledude

Are mediums legit?

Hey Everybody,

i'm pretty open minded about all the different avenues of spirituality and i'm always interested in these different ideas. But, I feel like Mediums are kind of bullshit. It's one thing if we are talking about someone doing it for entertainment purposes with the understanding that this stuff isn't real. I just think it's kind of messed up when a "medium" takes advantage of someone who is actually grieving from the loss of a loved one and decides to lie to them about being able to communicate with that deceased loved one. Especially if they are also taking money for these readings. I don't know maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm missing something but what do you guys think? Thanks.

Kyle

I always have a hard time believing people that claim to be mediums -- but I'm always willing to have my mind changed/blown. I just have had more experiences with hokey/sheister types desperate for attention than anything close to authentic.

I always hate when I go to a restaurant and they have their drinks listed and the sizes are 'medium' or 'large'.

You need to have at least 3 sizes to list a medium in there. You can't have small/medium or large/medium. 

You're lying to us. That so-called 'medium' is bullshit, that's a small.

53 minutes ago, WeepingMonk said:

I always hate when I go to a restaurant and they have their drinks listed and the sizes are 'medium' or 'large'.

You need to have at least 3 sizes to list a medium in there. You can't have small/medium or large/medium. 

You're lying to us. That so-called 'medium' is bullshit, that's a small.

Seriously. Also, I generally buy a medium t-shirt but sometimes a medium t-shirt is CLEARLY fucking large. Then I feel like I'm fat, but too neurotic to admit it, so they're giving me a large t-shirt and saying, "Yeah, you SAY medium, but we know you're a fucking large." (In truth I prefer a small t-shirt, but sometimes the small is really an Extra Small, which is too small. So medium should be the... happy medium! But sometimes it's just not. More proof that the free market has failed. We need rigidly defined size-schemes before these garments go to market.).

@kyledude,

typically sir, mediums are relatively expensive.  you will find more value for your dollar going with the very large or the super skinny.  

now, sir what divides open mindedness from gullibility?  

Yes, mediums are bullshit.

Augury is real, authentic and true, however.  A chicken called Blanche (she is white) has scratched the omen of the phoenix on my lawn.  So I see resurrection of the spirit in your future. 

I'm open to the possibility, but I've never seen anyone who feels authentic.  The closest I've come across is someone who is schizophrenic.  They definitely appear to be channeling something, but it isn't necessarily comprehensible.

It's important to ask what the difference is between one person who claims to be channeling as they speak and another who's "just speaking".   In normal everyday speech you're  kind of a representative  of your parent culture and your  individual upbringing  so in a sense you're kind of a channel for both.  In other words it's not just your voice coming out of your mouth but the voice of your culture as well.

5 minutes ago, jenkins said:

It's important to ask what the difference is between one person who claims to be channeling as they speak and another who's "just speaking".   In normal everyday speech you're kind of a representative of your parent culture and your individual upbringing  so in a sense you're kind of a channel for both.  In other words it's not just your voice coming out of your mouth but the voice of your culture as well.

you see!  oh sir you see!  'i' is the reverberation of experience!  residual time!  oh sir indeed!  

If your skeptical then you might as well keep yo money. 

But. 

If you believe this person is speaking to a dead loved one and more importantly you extract value out of this interaction in the form of emotional closure etc etc then who cares if they are full of it. 

Ignorance can be bliss.

Placebo technologies work really well when they do and disastrously when they don't. 

I appreciate all the responses. There is some very interesting stuff here. 

@kyledude,

but sir, the question goes unanswered, what divides open mindedness from gullibility?  good sir, may we take a moment and examine the divide between open mindedness and gullibility and see what we find out?  it will only take a moment, and it will help the speaker discern.  

49 minutes ago, stein22501 said:

Kyle they eat pizza like everyone else

how about you eat a book by KRISHNAMURTI with your MIND, and CACTUS with your pizza hole.  perhaps then you will find reality sir.    

On 1/15/2017 at 1:00 PM, DinduNuffin said:

@kyledude,

but sir, the question goes unanswered, what divides open mindedness from gullibility?  good sir, may we take a moment and examine the divide between open mindedness and gullibility and see what we find out?  it will only take a moment, and it will help the speaker discern.  

i think the difference is being open minded involves reflection with a little bit of skepticism. like if i don't agree with it, i still feel like maybe its good for someone even though it isn't good for me. and being gullible is just like i never asked why and i never stopped believing.

i ask the question about legitimacy because my first take is yeah, mediums are complete bullshit. but thats not fair right out of the gate maybe someone knows something i don't. 

1 hour ago, kyledude said:

i think the difference is being open minded involves reflection with a little bit of skepticism. like if i don't agree with it, i still feel like maybe its good for someone even though it isn't good for me. and being gullible is just like i never asked why and i never stopped believing.

i ask the question about legitimacy because my first take is yeah, mediums are complete bullshit. but thats not fair right out of the gate maybe someone knows something i don't. 

Let's make sure we find out the truth the only way possible. First hand experience. I declare myself a medium 

On 1/14/2017 at 11:00 PM, DinduNuffin said:

@kyledude,

I think for a lot of people, if naive gullibility doesn't erode itself from our consciousness with age naturally then it does after we get burned a handful of times. For instance, if you see a few mediums -wanting- to believe but end up have total bullshit experiences then you will automatically be less gullible about that going forward.  For other people, it's just an age thing...the more you see/experience of the world, endure heartbreaks, misplace your trust a few times, see the shitty nature of a lot of people, etc -- those everyday experiences do their part to erase gullibility. 

Open-mindedness comes from a more intelligent place. Like @kyledude mentioned, it's rooted in a healthy skepticism - but maintains a willingness to change one's mind/get one's mind blown. 

Also, a lot of the time it depends on the source, too. Some people are compulsive liars/exaggerators and have no idea that anyone realizes it about them because they're so entranced by their own illusion they're projecting. So when you're dealing with someone like that and he's making some outrageous claim again, you can more easily dismiss it. But if you're hearing something from a person you know is a trustworthy individual, it's easier to be open-minded to what they're offering. 

highres_424870152.jpeg

This is the Kali Yuga, (aka the Dharma Ending Age) where very few can manage to be completely honest.

You're bound to meet charlatans. If you become arrogant you will stop learning anything about the universe.