Welcome to The Duncan Trussell Family Hour Center for Self-Optimization

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocelot

How/Where/What do you do to acquire currency?

34 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, CaptainBeyond28 said:

Very interesting crafts in this thread. I'm a web/software dev. My dream is to make a Nintendo game. Similar to http://www.gradualgames.com/p/the-legends-of-owlia_1.html (released on physical cartridge)

I make decent money but I live well below my means. My family won't stop nagging me about it. I guess they want me drowning in debt like everyone else. I don't mind driving a shitty car!

That's awesome, not giving into those little desires to "buy this," and "upgrade that."

Do you plan to get a job at Nintendo, or to make your own game? Are you entrepreneurial?

27 minutes ago, ShoesMelloy said:

The floral industry is the most Satanic industry -- those on the inside know!

I've always suspected!

11 minutes ago, pattmayne said:

That's awesome, not giving into those little desires to "buy this," and "upgrade that."

Do you plan to get a job at Nintendo, or to make your own game? Are you entrepreneurial?

I've always suspected!

I EVENTUALLY want to upgrade, but I would love to get a classic convertible mustang and fix it up myself and be proud of my own work of art - and that involves not getting into debt for the newest gadget that's probably going to have to go into the shop in a year for some broken computer component anyway.

As far as working at Nintendo, not really, I mean maybe, but I'm biggest on vintage gaming. I would love to make my own game. I'm not very entrepreneurial it's just been a vision of mine since I was a child. 

23 minutes ago, CaptainBeyond28 said:

I would love to make my own game. I'm not very entrepreneurial it's just been a vision of mine since I was a child. 

With Android and web apps I'm sure you can make this happen!

Unemployed. The past included;

Dishwasher in a Chinese restraint. Learning a few Mandarin words from the chefs. Free green tea!

Construction. Hot days on roofs and using a jackhammer. Wrestling cinder blocks while hearing racists blab on and on.

Cleaning up train wrecks. One year included a train full of UPS sent Christmas gifts. What a day.

Stuffing the funnies in news papers. Paid a penny per paper. Took acid with buddies while working once. The papers were swimming. Quite a challenge.

Stage hand for Ironmaiden. Assembled giant monster robots with cranky British roadies. Including an enormous "bloke" named Ashley. Who would go on stage on stilts with a costume and sword.

Stocking coolers at a liquor store. Oh the humanity... Sometimes I'd stuff subversive comics I'd make in the cases of Budweiser. Never to know how they were perceived...

Moving rich folks into high rises. Carrying couches worth a years pittance. 

Delivering pizza on the forth of july. Looking for houses amid BA-BOOOMs. Quit after a day due to an annoying fella.

Sold drawings to a band of buddies for flyers and a shirt.

Blacksmith. Sold a couple small things I made at night. Listening to Duncan while at the anvil. Stoned with inscense burning. I love it.

Learned the horrors of office politics copying court papers and hearing 8 hours of podcasts a day.

Scraping metal. Nothing like garbage day in a rich neighborhood. One home threw out an entire sauna! Walls an all.

Took advantage of a college grant for poor people. Do well and get paid! Chose a course on video game design.

Panhandling.

Crying to family.

The future is gonna be much better.

I worked in music (live and studio) for most of my life until I had a stage fall on me. Now I work in daytime TV as a sound editor and mixer.  

5 hours ago, pattmayne said:

With Android and web apps I'm sure you can make this happen!

I have a few on the market, actually. Made about $4 after 5 years!

1 hour ago, CaptainBeyond28 said:

I have a few on the market, actually. Made about $4 after 5 years!

Where can we see them?

thats awesome - so many different skill sets in here.

i'm envious of all the craftsmen and artists that actually create things- but i wasn't blessed with that hand-eye coordination. 

I'm happy- because i'm challenged, am always learning something new, and for the first time in a long time- really trying to be excellent at my craft...even if it's writing formulas in spreadsheets. 

I know a lot of people that seem to be just be good or "a natural" at everything - professional and socially. do you think trying to be excellent in whatever task you have to do is contagious- causing it to spread to other areas of your life, causing you to try to be great at everything? 

Everyone is wired differently- but i feel like when i have a ton of things to do- my apartment is clean, i'm going to the gym, i'm not drinking as much, overall i'm just way more productive.

it always seems like i'm in 1st or 5th gear. still trying to find that balance.