Welcome to The Duncan Trussell Family Hour Center for Self-Optimization

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocelot

How/Where/What do you do to acquire currency?

34 posts in this topic

Hello all -

I think is a great community, I'm really happy I found it.

I was just curious as to what the fellow listener does for work? 

I"m a financial analyst, in DC, which means i stare at numbers and spreadsheets all day. 

I'm a garbage man. I'm in the process of becoming a nurse. In the meantime I make money moving garbage from one place to another. Sometimes there's money in the garbage and I make money directly from the garbage.

I teach music! Also perform for side $$ and fun. I've always been curious about this too, excited to see other folks responses! :P

I sell sheds, cottages and tiny houses for the bulk of my income. I am also a painter and try to sell portraits.

I refurbish near almost everything for a liquidation store in western Canada. From electronics and appliances small and large to furniture, kitchenware, and mattresses. 

The job requires a variety of know-how; testing, repairing, cleaning, and lots of figuring out what to do to get each item out and able to be sold. Some times it's the most fulfilling job I've had with the sense of accomplishment that comes with successfully processing difficult items and other times it just drags on. 

I work at a Sushi restaurant and am in the process of getting into film work (stagehand stuff). I recently got a possession charge so finding a good job is hard, it sucks. 

I do abunch of random shit noone else wants to do but hopefully I'll be in college for some kind of career by next year.

Posted (edited)

What kind of random shit that no one else wants to do?

Edited by AngoGoblogian

Cashier at shitty fast food places, uhhhhh Dishwashing jobs lol. Working at Call centers. Shit like that. 

Work for a consulting company, currently on a project with a large bank. My job itself is very monotonous right now...what most would consider a typical cubicle job.

I don't like it, but it pays the bills and I get to listen to podcasts while I work. But I'd rather do something that's more meaningful if I could ever get my shit together and get my social anxiety under control to start interviewing again. My ultimate dream would be making my own money creating a small business somehow but that just feels like a pipe dream...I also don't know what that would be.

I'm unemployed. Seeking an income.

44 minutes ago, self_medic said:

I could ever get my shit together and get my social anxiety under control to start interviewing again. My ultimate dream would be making my own money creating a small business somehow but that just feels like a pipe dream...I also don't know what that would be.

I hear you! Have you considered choosing a craft, a trade, or going to school? I'm financially ruined or else I'd be heading back to school. But it's nice to get serious about something, and get good at it.

I drive a truck for my life credits. 18-wheeler type truck.

9 minutes ago, WeepingMonk said:

227762beae2ba20cf3b3c20fa8b22055.jpg

I thought I recognized you.

Work for a wealthy person's non-profit, as maintenance personnel and landscaper. Very weird and rare job to fall into I guess. It's essentially living in a giant house few people could afford to rent and mucking about in the garden. 

It isn't fulfilling in the sense of teaching me to be a more competent and social human being,  more very routine. I seek comfort over any kind of self improvement and have an absolutely zero social life. 

Everything fell apart at the end of highschool. Public school doesn't teach you to be independent and neither did my parents.  No direction, got into abusing drugs. Drugs were the means to be included in my social group. Blew up my body's homeostasis in a stress massacre, spiraled into depression. Am a bit damaged and am still wondering what is the point of all of this.

53 minutes ago, pattmayne said:

I'm unemployed. Seeking an income.

I hear you! Have you considered choosing a craft, a trade, or going to school? I'm financially ruined or else I'd be heading back to school. But it's nice to get serious about something, and get good at it.

Yeah I would like to. Part of my problem is I don't really know what I want to do...I got a degree in Finance about 6 years ago only because I figured the job prospects would be better than other majors. But I've done some "soul searching" since then, and I'm not sure the corporate world is my cup of tea...plus I've become quite the introvert which isn't necessarily the best personality trait for this industry.

Ideally I'd like to go back to school and learn something else but Im not sure I want to spend my savings on tuition again.

I'm kinda interested in bitcoin and crypocurrencies since um...SWIM learned about the deep web. It's tangentially related to what I studied so maybe I should learn more about potential career opportunities related to that. Otherwise, I just started learning how to design and make t-shirts that I may sell on Etsy for fun...but I seriously doubt if that could ever support me financially.

Basically...I'm lost, career wise...ha. As you can gather by my rambling post. Sorry about that.

TLDR: A craft sounds great but I wish I could make my mind up and pursue something seriously.

Posted (edited)

Right Now temping in an hr dept of a large-ish company. They've tentatively offered me a gig in payroll with decent pay, twice as much as I'm making now or have really ever made. I am tentatively pretty darn excited. Its boring computer stuff but im nearly 30 and psyched to not have to sweat bills and stuff for awhile. Get a gym membership And be able to pay to get some of my songs decently produced. Its not definitive yet so I'm still a bit nervous it'll be yanked away

Edited by JayDP

3 hours ago, self_medic said:

@pattmayneare you interested in a particular craft or trade?

I want to do something medium-technical. To be a lab-assistant, electrician, some kind of technician would be great. Even certain kinds of programming would be great, but I absolutely don't want to work in an office at a software development company.

I have a journalism degree and I write fiction. Got a couple books coming out with small publishers this year. That's what I like the most so I'm forcibly pushing for that. The thing is, I have "technical needs." There's something really fulfilling about learning technical things, working with your hands, using logic and problem-solving.

I was a stupid young man with lots of emotional and personal problems, so I couldn't have done sciences because I wasn't personally stable enough. But "if I had my time back," I would convince myself to go full-technical. Math and science.

As it stands right now... I'm kind of fucked in a bunch of ways lol. I do have a plan, and I'll make something work, but my options are very limited.

In the past I worked as a cook, factory worker, and random other jobs. I wish I could encourage young people to take seriously the idea of learning a craft. Not some lame "career" for a big house... But fucking get good at something that will keep your brain awake and make some money. 

@pattmaynecongrats on the books! I think I remember seeing a thread you posted about one. That's fucking awesome man!

Very interesting crafts in this thread. I'm a web/software dev. My dream is to make a Nintendo game. Similar to http://www.gradualgames.com/p/the-legends-of-owlia_1.html (released on physical cartridge)

I make decent money but I live well below my means. My family won't stop nagging me about it. I guess they want me drowning in debt like everyone else. I don't mind driving a shitty car!

This unit works as a floral purchaser for a wholesale florist/greenhouse. The floral industry is the most Satanic industry -- those on the inside know!

I'm in school full-time in the evenings, finishing a degree to become a high school English teacher, following in the footsteps of my first Guru, Steve "Mother Fucking" Smith (REST IN PEACE!) -- who first encouraged me to write poetry and read Lord of the Rings. 

I should be done with school in the next 1.5 years and (hopefully) teaching. My job now is basically just a desk job, although I also do a million other things around here that aren't really *my* job but have to get done. It's a cool company but, again, a very strange and evil industry. 

Of course, if rapping for money ever became an option I'd probably just slide on in that direction. 

Edited by ShoesMelloy